Trust in God (and lots of italics)

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Today, it was suggested to me by God that I should devote the next family night lesson to talking about trusting Him. I was praying about my kids, and how to help them through the move to Idaho next month. They're conflicted, naturally, as any kids would be during any move. But this isn't just any move. Mom got married and, while they're happy about that - they love their step-dad and they get along with all of the new family members that came with him - life is different now, and we're moving to another state. Moving is kind of abstract to kids anyway, but with their dad telling them it's not happening, my sweeties have days when it's hard to wrap their brains around the reality. While praying about it this morning, I thought, "They need to just put their trust in God," and He said, "That's right. Do they know what that means?" I answered, "It's a hard concept," and He said, "Let's work on it," and proceeded to outline a family night lesson for me. 

I am asking for help with this. I have personal stories that I can use to illustrate the point, but I would love it if I could use other examples as well. And, not just stories that go, "So, I put my trust in God and everything worked out, yay!" Real stories are what I want. Real, true, trusting God stories. I don't want a story where the moral is, "So, if you trust God, moving to Idaho will fulfill all of your deepest dreams!!" This isn't the forum for me to tell them that I know this will be a such a wonderful blessing for us or that I believe this move will be good for them in the long run.  I don't even want to talk about the move at ALL during this lesson (so there's the only criterion - no moving stories!), I don't want that to be the focus - I don't want them to be manipulated, even unintentionally (if it can be avoided), into feeling a certain way (either way) about the move. I want them to begin to learn how to trust God. What it means to trust, how we apply the principal of trust and be willing to be vulnerable, even with God. How hard it can be, and how worth it, in any aspect of life. How I've managed to do it, how others have done it, how blessings - usually not the ones we were looking for - always follow even the tiniest step toward trusting God. 

If you're willing to share a personal experience, would you send it to me? Either through a message here, or, if it's too long or personal, a FB message or email would be fine. I'll let you know how the lesson goes - probably, like most family night lessons, I'll be going, "ARGH!! What was the point of that?! They weren't even LISTENING!!! " But it was God's idea, so I trust Him to help me present the lesson, guide us through a discussion and at least plant the idea in the hearts of my sweeties, even if they don't hear or understand every word I say. 

By the way, I'm so thankful to have faithful friends and family that I can turn to for help in teaching my children :) 

One last note - if any of Randy's family still read this blog, please know you're welcome to share stories, too. I know the kids would love it, and so would I. 

1 comments:

Allison said...

When I was 8 I got baptized. It was a great day. When I was 10, I got to thinking, and asked my Mom, "How do I know that the gospel is real, and not just a trick, or your own tradition?" She said that the only way to really know is if God told me himself, and that I had to ask first. So for about a week, I kept it in my prayers, and just to make sure it wasn't only a Book of Mormon thing, I read in the Old Testament for awhile each day before I prayed about it. A week into this plan, I had an enormous rush of an answer - very very clear - that the gospel was true and that Heavenly Father was real, and that I would be happiest if I followed the prophet. That answer has guided me ever since, and now I'm old. As I look back at the choices that I made guided by my friend the Holy Ghost, I can see that I am much much happier than I would have been without his help.

Post a Comment

Do I know you? If so, please leave a message :)